Theater Donations  Homepage

Auto Donations

Book Donations

Church Donations

Financial Donations

Hall-of-Fame Donations

Industrial Donations

Military Donations

Murder Donations

Sports Donations

Store Donations

Theater Donations

Waltham Watch Co. Donations

Luis Rodrigues of Newton, MA, donated the Film Rental and Booking Register used to record the film status at the Embassy Theatre in Waltham in 1971. For example, Lawrence of Arabia was rented by the Embassy the week of June 25, 1971 for $256.62. The net receipts from the film were $1,026.50. The Embassy closed down in 1972. Rodrigues, who performed operational and maintenance services in the projection room at the Embassy and other theatres, also donated the bronze reindeer and flowers with electrical lighting used by the Embassy for their display during the Christmas season. The problem is that while getting the reindeer lights repaired at the Newton Community Service Center, the reindeer was lost or stolen and cannot be found. Mr. Rodrigues who is in his late 80’s is in bad health and can’t follow up on this lost reindeer. He asked the Waltham Museum to help recover it for the museum’s collection. (January 2001)
An anonymous donor gave memorabilia from the Embassy Theater that included an Art Deco light, a wall light, two framed signs and eleven price or admission cards handmade by an artist in fine coloring. These are great additions to our present large Embassy exhibit. A small-carved lion’s head from the Embassy requires more identification. Finally a Civil Defense kit used in Waltham was part of the donation. (November 2001)

Steven Simonetti of Belmont donated the Embassy Theater's piano to the Waltham Museum and it has been placed in the Embassy Theater exhibit.    When the Embassy Theater opened in 1928 a piano was needed for some silent films and for vaudeville acts. However, by 1930 silent films and vaudeville were dead and there was no need for a piano, so it was sold. Simonetti's grandfather, Oswald Land, acquired the piano and left it to Steve. (Jan-Mar 97)

Amedee J. Belliveau of Waltham sent a photograph of Mrs. Theresa Bryne, her mother. Mrs. Byrne was the matron at the Embassy Theater for 25 years. Belliveau had seen one of the Waltham Museum's historical shows about the Embassy on cable television. The picture adds to our knowledge on the Embassy and will be placed on exhibit in the Embassy area. (May-Jly 98)

Paul Belida of Waltham donated a folder with all the bank deposit slips made by the old Embassy Theater in December 1950. Each slip or sheet shows what movies were playing for that day, what the admission price was and how many attended.       An example of the information for December 18, 1950 shows that the movies were: Tripoli and Fuller Brush Girl. Ten matinee tickets were sold to children for 17˘ each and 78 tickets were sold to adults for 33˘ each. In the evening the price of the tickets went up to 21˘ for children and 54˘ cents for adults. A total of 291 people attended the night performance. The amount collected and deposited into the Newton-Waltham Bank for the Embassy that day was $262.96. Also noted on the sheet was that it was a Monday and the weather was fair and cold.     A second folder for August 1953 was included in this donation. The third item donated was a notebook used by William Hartnett, the Embassy Theater manager in 1948 showing promotional ideas for kiddie movies. Typewritten reports by him to the district manager of M&P were contained in this notebook. Tom McKeon, a museum member, assisted in this donation. (Mar-May 99)

Councillor Kathy McMenimen donated two unused tickets to the Embassy Theater for March 30, 1963. A special performance of "Little Red Riding Hood" was being offered for 50˘. (Jan-Mar 96)

Pauline Caruso of Waltham donated a set of five Embassy Theater seats that were placed on display in the museum's Embassy exhibit. (Nov-Jan 97)

Paul Belinda of Waltham donated was the Embassy Theater stage light and five Embassy Theater annunciator cards: (a) Embassy News, (b) Organ–Logue, (c) The Honey Boy Minstrels, (d) The Embassy Orchestra, and (e) Coming Soon Shirley Temple in "Little Miss Marker".      These cards, or large signs, were used in the earlier years of the Embassy Theater when they had vaudeville shows. They would be placed on one side of the stage to show what was coming up.      Also donated was a Central Square Sea Grill sign. The grill was located at 11 Moody Street, next to the Central Square Theater. The grill went out of business around 1935 during the Depression. (Sep-Nov 95)

Kathy Chlapowski donated four items from the old Embassy Theater. The electric exit to the parking space sign, the electric ladies room sign, the theater inspection certificate, and the letter "A" from the marquee. (Jly-Sep 94)

Fred Taranto of Sudbury donated a brochure of the old Waldorf Theater on Elm Street. (Jly-Sep 94)

David F. Garbarino, the president of Brenton E. Tyler Insurance Agency, donated an original Embassy Theater sign which was posted outside the washrooms on the second floor and read, do not use hell or damn or anything suggestive. The sign has been placed in the Embassy exhibit. Also donated was a plate of glass from the old Asbury Temple. (Mar-May 97)

Karen LeBlanc of the Charles River Museum of Industry donated about 20 large black metal letters which were once used on the Embassy Theater marquee to show what movie was playing. (Jan-Mar 94)

Barbara Whitenack of Whitman, daughter of Phyllis Wilson-Zimmerman-Fox, donated a scrapbook on the Waldorf Theater which was on Elm Street in Waltham. Information on the Embassy Theater, photos of actors at that time and playbills are all part of this scrapbook. (Nov-Jan 99)

Marie Philips of Waltham donated a photograph of the Hovey Players Road-Show cast of 1951. The picture was taken on the stage of Lafayette Hall at 11 Noonan Street; the same Lafayette Hall that the museum has been using for the past 12 years.      The Hovey Players have been in operation since 1936. After World War II they held all their rehearsals at Lafayette Hall for about seven years. This Hovey Player picture will be framed and displayed in Lafayette Hall.      Marie Philip, who was an actress for the Hovey Players, also served as one of their officers during this period. She wrote and directed the gay ninety revue show of 1951. Another Hovey Player officer in 1951 was Frank Smith. We are checking to see if he is the same Frank Smith of the Class of 1917.      Marie's father was Thomas Philips a 1921 graduate of Waltham High who played on the basketball team with Jim Hanney, Paul Curry, Charlie Kelly, Curley Rogers, Jim Urquhart and Jack Horner. She also donated news-clippings, National Guard photos, and 50th reunion information on her father. (Sep-Nov 96)

Homepage/Collection | E-mail | Links | Donations | Sign Guest book | Return to: TOP of Page
Also visit:
Autos | Boats | Books | Churches | Families | Hall-of-Fame | Industries | Map | Metz Company | Military
Murder | Newsletter | Slide Shows | Sports | Stores | Theaters | Timeline | Waltham Watch Company

Membership  |  Gift Shop  |  Upcoming Events  |  Search Site   |    Special: Waltham Through History